Friday, April 17, 2009

the start of things

So i have never blogged before - but i thought that it would be a good way for me to keep my thoughts in order for my drawing honours project at the National Art School in sydney.

Through my last year in my BA i was looking at how memories can be triggered from a small scrap of paper - a movie ticket, a receipt and then I looked at how images can inspire different memories from each person - so someone looking at a horse might think of their first pony ride, another may think of a horse statue they have at home another the book Black Beauty. This year I started off this way but then I found that I was interested in the collective experience of objects. As I looked into the brain, into memory etc I was amazed with all the different levels of memory that there was, memory that stores things for a 10 of a second, memory that we use and access continually – ie the memory of how to speak. It was a subject that was way to deep for me to investigate on any substantial level in my honors year. However while investigating I become drawn to these categories – and how we categorize memory. In the stairwell exhibit I had a piece “ I keep my receipts for tax purposes” I asked the viewer to select a date of significance to them and stamp it on two pieces of paper one when into the show and the other into the pocket or wallet of the viewer – it represented the idea of the evidence of a common experience, so I’m taking the show down today and will use the tickets that people left and organize them into some sort of system – not sure exactly what sort of system – but a system none the less

No comments:

Post a Comment